Articles Comments

ePublish a Book » Journal » About the Blogger

About the Blogger

To contact us, simply send an e-mail

I live in a world where reality occasionally intrudes, but not too often. Until recently, my entire ability to handle the real world was devoted to my children. Then two things happened:

My youngest child turned 18, officially becoming an adult, and my agent retired, so my books had to find a new parent to bring them to the world.

Without him, my books have lost even the slightest chance of ever finding a publisher. By the time I find a new agent, they will be wheezing from breathing dust and by the time this elusive publisher actually publishes the book, they will have choked.

Yet, all hopes is not lost.

The fast growing popularity of ebooks and fast shrinking stigma against self published book mean I can actually bring them to the world all on my own.

This is why you are reading this.

Am no geek but am learning, partly through obsessively googling all I can lay my eyes on about Kindle, Barnes and Nobles and other potential self-publishing outlets.

The one thing I did not find though, is a blog or a website documenting step by step how to do to actually move your book from your computer’s “drawer” onto the publisher’s virtual shelves.

So this is what this blog is about. And about other topics revolving around epublishing. Of course, when my book will be available on line, you will be the first ones to know . Look out for the name Patricia de Hemricourt in a few weeks and you will find my book.

Disclaimer

Filed under: Journal

17 Responses to "About the Blogger"

1. Happy to have found your blog via Twitter. I’ve added it to the bookmarks on my own writer’s blog as I think a lot of the content we are covering is similar. I, too, am writing about the writing life and have recently been focusing on self-publishing as I have chosen that route for my (4th) upcoming book. Exciting times ahead!

I’ll look forward to reading more of your posts and to joining the community on my blog. We have some great discussions about all things pertaining to writing and writers.

2. I doubt I would ever be able to keep up with managing a blog like it!
    Impressive job, I truly would like to see you keep up with
    it for a long time.

3. my blog log says:

Saved as a favorite, I like your site!

4. good says:

Thanks for one’s marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed reading it, you might be a great author.I will remember to bookmark your blog and will come back in the foreseeable future. I want to encourage that you continue your great work, have a nice holiday weekend!

5. Hi from England. Great work on the site Patricia. It’s really helpful to have sites like these to encourage each other. I have two POD books out and have just been dipping my toes into the e-book world. Thanks Martyn

6. dani sell says:

just wanted to thank you for caring enough to help struggling writers. What a heart you have, girl!

7. Patricia, this is such a great site, but where’s your name? I came here to check for spelling and I don’t see it anywhere. As Kristen Lamb says, “your name is your brand.” So take credit for all this–you deserve it– and plaster your name on every page.

Also, if you get rid of the password thing, you’ll get a whole lot more comments. The WordPress Spamguard works on 99% of spam without it. With over 100,000 hits on my blog, I’ve only had three pieces of spam make it through (easily deleted), and I don’t use word verification.

8. Emily Hill says:

Oh My Goodness! Don’t FIND a Publisher! BE a Publisher! My dear, I am a grandmother, I was in the same EXACT place you are in with a novel I wanted to publish for my grandchildren 18 mos ago. Agents weren’t accepting new authors (and were letting go their stable authors); publishing houses weren’t seeking manuscripts from emerging authors (financial risk too …. risky)

So! I learned how to publish my own work on Amazon Kindle; then Amazon CreateSpace (for soft cover); then Barnes & Noble Nook; then Barnes & Noble via Lightning Source so my books would be in their brick and mortar.

This week my latest eBook hit *Best Seller* status in the US and UK! and instead of splitting 85/15 with a publisher (85% for them; 15% for me) my take is 70% of every sale I make – and I make a ton!

I’m not going to advertise on YOUR page – but – look me up! And follow my lead – Go Indie! The ‘find an agent/find a publisher’ train has left the station. Emily Hill, A.V. Harrison Publishing

9. Mackenzie says:

I consider this a third option now. It has all the perks of being self published, but with a team to help back you up and to do most of the work for you.

1. Mackenzie says:

I just noticed that the website does not appear. My apologies.

10. Larry LaVoie says:

I’m now a grandfather and without the future outlook of endless time, I publish my novels on Amazon, B&N and Smashwords. Not to sure about Smashwords though. I suspect they are sharing too much of my books and sales are minimal.
    I’m having the best time of my life, writing what I love and not having to fit my style and subject into the formula of the paper publisher. I’m actually having fun.

1. Emily Hill says:

Larry,

Yes, I’ve thrown Smashwords to the trash bin.

I’ve sold 55 books on Smashwords and let Smash-free-readers download 1,247 ‘preview’ copies of my six titles out. The ratio is crazy!

It might turn around now that Smashwords has picked up distribution rights into Apple’s iTunes, iPad etc. But I set my ‘preview ratio’ at 3% now! People can look at the cover, copyright page. I am a commercial writer in my retirement – I make no bones about it – and I *am* making money via Amazon!

Emily Hill http://www.emilyHillwriter.com

11. Ben Podgor says:

Please note my sub domain: http://ben.benjaminpodgor.com I point this out because France “knighted” me. Also examine the documents below the diploma like material.

You are correct. Both Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com let you retain your publishing rights. My Novellette, “Ode to the Revenue Code, A Novellette” is on sale at both Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com

You are obligated to keep the price the same at both places and not sell it any cheaper anywhere else.

If you go to: http://ode.benjaminpodgor.com you will see a letter from a person who went to prison, that I believe should not have. This is why I wrote the Novellette. It shows how the problem could have been fought.

Ben

12. I have two books on Amazon kindle – can I publish them with Barnes Noble (or any other e-publisher) too?

1. Patricia says:

There is a difference in formatting the book. Kindle leaves all the copyrights with the publisher/writer, so nothing stops you from publishing in another outlet. Always read the Terms and Conditions cafefully are these change. AS long as you retain all your copyrights, you are free to publish where you like.

13. Paul Dorset says:

Here’s the article you’re looking for: Dummies guide to publishing an ebook on Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble and Smashwords – http://pauldorset.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-publish-e-book-on-amazon-barnes.html <- enjoy!

14. Don Ford says:

Or why not test the magazine publishing market to build a readership as I have, right along with the self-publishing. Magazines are loaded with stories about you and I and our own personal tales. Some of mine seem quite fantastic, but that’s okay, I’m getting them published and that’s what it’s all about.
    One magazine I was published in had 2 million readers. Not exactly chump change in another publisher’s eyes; perhaps even a book publisher might have a glance. Check out “Royal Ferdinand” with Solstice Publishing http://www.solsticepublishing.com/products/Royal-Ferdinand–%252d%252d%252d-PDF-EBOOK.html Please check out the review also. Cheers, Don

Share your thoughts with us!

%d bloggers like this:
Visit Us On TwitterVisit Us On FacebookVisit Us On Google PlusCheck Our FeedVisit Us On Pinterest